Source: Image courtesy of SEDA.
The users of the Crossroads Business Park (CBP) are major retailers having a network of stores spanning North America:
- Home Depot. The home hardware retailer Home Depot, with 2,200 stores, was the first major anchor tenant in 1996 by locating the first major deconsolidation center in the Southeast. Deconsolidation requires less footprint as cargo is quickly shipped to regional distribution centers, so the 1.4 million square foot distribution center located in CBP is indicative of the large volumes handled by the retailer. This involves the deconsolidation DC performs a transloading function, moving the contents of maritime containers into domestic containers/trucks.
- Dollar Tree Distribution Center. A major retailer having about 4,400 stores and is highly dependent on low-cost retail goods that are manufactured abroad in imported in containers. It operates an 800,000 square foot distribution center.
- Pier 1 Imports. A major retailer with 1,000 stores specializing in imported home furnishings and decor, particularly furniture and decorative accessories. It operates an 800,000 square foot distribution center. The chain declared bankruptcy in 2020 and it remains to be seen what will happen with the distribution center.
- Lowes. Major home improvement and appliance retailer with 1,700 stores.
Two significant manufacturers are also present:
- Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation. An aerospace manufacturer that designs, develops, manufactures, markets, and services business-jet aircraft.
- Lummus Corporation. A major manufacturer of machinery and replacement parts for the cotton ginning industry. The corporate headquarters and manufacturing facility is housed in a 250,000 square foot facility.
The campuses of two academic institutions are located within CBP:
- Savannah Technical College.
- Georgia Institute of Technology. The SEDA Technology and Engineering Campus (TEC) occupies a 170 acres site within the CBP. It was designed as a freight village servicing the logistics activities of the logistics zone with plans for office space for high technology, educational and research activities.